Saturday, April 17, 2010

You Never Know, Do You?


As a teacher, I put myself to a lots of suprises every day.

Be it will cause a heartache,
an unpleasant headache,
a tear in the eye (in the toilet),
an unwanted disappoinment,

a draw of smile on your face,
a tinge of pride when the students able to answer simple questions correctly,
or the most pleasant one (that I wish happen every day)
a small gesture made by my students that touches my heart.
(I am even smiling while typing this)

In one of the classes that I teach, there is this one shy boy.
None of the teachers could really talk eye to eye with him.
So in the end, it is either the teachers ignore him or the other way around.

As the form teacher, I think it is my job to break the ice.
I start with putting him at the front row so that I can easily reach to him if he has any problem in doing my work.
I praise him and tell the whole class whenever he does something good or answer correctly.
(His face is scarlet red whenever I praise him... Haha... you should see him)

Over the months, I believe I have managed to improve his level of confidence.
I used to hear his small voice when he tried to answer the questions that I threw to the whole class.
So, dengan nakalnye I imitate his voice.
Mestilah aku berdepan dengan risk yang amat tinggi, a) he changes to be more confident, or b) die menyampah dengan cikgu English sorang ni.
Amazingly, the next question, he eagerly stood up and answered very loudly.
"Wah, ni barulah macho!" Haha. Suke!

Ok Norzie, sudah2lah merapu, mananye part yang menyentuh hatimu itu?
Ok ok, baiklah... sila teruskan membaca.

Last Wednesday, I saw his drawing.
He immediately put everything under his table.
I asked him to take it out.
He did.
Woah, cantik gile I tell you. I believe he can be an artist tau!

So I asked him "Kenapa tak colour, ZJ?"
Him: Wa tade colour. Tade duit mao beli.

I went to my desk, took out RM5 note, gave it to him and said "Nah, buat beli colour. Now, simpan. English time"

Yesterday (Friday), I entered the class for relief.
He was colouring. I just let him be.
I asked the rest to do NILAM.
After a while, he stood up, went to the back of the classroom and pasted the drawing onto the noticeboard..
Mind you, it was not one but THREE of them!!

Picture one: Gundam.
Picture two: Some god fairy tale like drawing
Picture three: *Shocked*
It was me!
He sketched me wearing the baju kurung that I wore last Wednesday and written down there:
"Thank you, Cikgu Norzie"

And this shy boy made the decision to paste it on the noticeboard.
Classroom noticeboard?
I was flattered!

Oh man, how I wish I have a camera with me at that time!
He made my day! =D

5 comments on "You Never Know, Do You?"

ahseng on April 18, 2010 11:32 PM said...

waaaaaaa. bb is a gundam!!!!. hehe. is moment like this that teaching doesn't sound so bad at all.

The Laydee on April 18, 2010 11:40 PM said...

kannnn... the feeling of being appreciated is the most beautiful feeling kan :)

p/s: but bb, i am not a gundam. Picture one is, but i'm in picture 3. Hug u sebab sgt comel baca laju sgt sampai tersalah faham.

Miss Aini on April 28, 2010 11:18 PM said...

ahahah, i nk komen apa pun tlupa pasal tgelak tgk komen u seng chee.

ahseng on April 29, 2010 10:06 PM said...

i have a gundam bb

The Laydee on April 29, 2010 10:09 PM said...

Aini: tu la kan si ah seng ni

Ahseng: =) i'll take that as a compliment. hehe

 

The Laydee Copyright 2008 Shoppaholic Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez